I Got Flowers Today

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11 Comments A+ a-

I just want to share one of poems I like (not really because of the situation). I saw it in the bookmark my mom gave me. I didn't realized what was written on it when it was given to me until I used it.

I Got Flowers Today

by Paulette Kelly  ©1992

I got flowers today!
It wasn’t my birthday or any other special day;
We had our first argument last night;
And he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt;
I know he is sorry and didn’t mean the things he said;
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today!
It wasn’t our anniversary or any other special day;
Last night, he threw me into a wall and started choking me;
It seemed unreal, a nightmare, but you wake up from nightmares;
And I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over — I know he must be sorry;
Because he sent me flowers today.
I got flowers today!
And it wasn’t Valentines Day or any other special day;
Last night he beat me and threatened to kill me;
Make-up and long sleeves didn’t hide the cuts and bruises this time;
I couldn’t go to work today because I didn’t want anyone to know — but I know he’s sorry;
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today!
And it wasn’t Mother’s Day or any other special day;
Last night, he beat me up again, and it was much worse than all the other times;
If I leave him, what will I do? How will I take care of my kids? What about money?
I’m afraid of him, but I’m too scared and dependent to leave him! But he must be sorry;.
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today…
Today was a very special day.– It was the day of my funeral.
Last night, he finally killed me;
If only I would have gathered the courage and strength to leave him;
I could have received help from the Women’s Shelter, but I didn’t ask for their help;
So I got flowers today–for the last time.

This poem I believe is for everyone out there. There are still battered and abused wife around the world although there are already laws which gives them protection. That is the cruel reality. Nothing will happen unless we take a stand.

What is your stand about it?

Image Source: Bouquet of Flowers by Liz West

Mary is the blogger behind Remakestyle. She is an environmentalist, freelance writer and future engineer working towards a sustainable future.

11 comments

Write comments
sHeRrY
AUTHOR
October 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM delete

Shit! I sooo hate brutal men.. They're soo despicable! &&how sad the battered wife..sad poem:D

eprilis
AUTHOR
October 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM delete

hi. our teacher once read this poem to us. And yes, it's sad to know that there are abused women out there.:(

Nice
AUTHOR
May 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM delete

this is horrible :( i pity the woman in the poem, and all the other women who were abused . i also don't like how the woman gave in to the man's apologies through flowers, because for real, as how i see it, he wasn't really that sorry since he kept doing it over and over again to her .

Rainy Martini
AUTHOR
May 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM delete

Awww... I'd read this poem before and it broke my heart. I read it again and it still does.

roffe
AUTHOR
May 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM delete

Hi... Domestic abuse is a pattern of control and coercive behaviors, typically
starting slow with a few little things and building over time. Abuse
can involve physical, sexual, economic, emotional and psychological
aspects of any relationship. Domestic abuse can effect anyone and has no
social, economic, racial, religious and ethnic group limitation. Anyone
can be a victim of domestic violence, but woman are the most common
victims.
Have a wonderful day..

Abby E.
AUTHOR
May 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM delete

gave me chills after i read this!! :( abusive men are despicable enough and deserves to go straight to hell >:(

ktnep_15
AUTHOR
May 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM delete

This gives me goosebumps >___<
sad poem yet real!

every person should value themselves more than anyone else T_T
aishh ~ :(

TRISH
AUTHOR
May 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM delete

I think one of my teachers in HS  gave us a copy of this poem. I am not sure though. Well, still a sad poem.

OT: I can't promise to blog about his first day on his job since he won't work here on PH. He already migrated somehere in US. And btw, I fix my twitter link ;)

Becca
AUTHOR
May 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM delete

You think that the poem will be bright and happy because it's titled about flowers, however it tackles such a difficult and serious problem. I think it's hard for us to judge from the outside the situation that people are in, and it's so, so sad. :/

Marinella
AUTHOR
May 29, 2012 at 3:52 AM delete

Too bad for that woman. :(

Marinella
AUTHOR
May 29, 2012 at 3:52 AM delete

Despicable enough like what you said sis. >.<